Problems with dialing out (Help!)

John Mellor-Crummey johnmc at mitaka.rice.edu
Sun Aug 26 07:51:10 AEST 1990

OS version 3.51a

For a while I had been using async_main, the communication program
provided with the 3B1 along with the on board modem (at 1200 baud).
I have been continually frustrated by the way it
handles terminal i/o. If I log onto another Unix system using
async_main and "cat" a very large file, I have a hard
time interrupting the cat with a ^C to abort it. Sometimes I have had to
watch text scroll by for several minutes before the ^C is noticed by the
remote system.

Recently, I installed kermit on my system hoping that this would work
better than async_main for dialing in. Unfortunately, I have the same
problem as before.

Question: Is there a problem with the device driver for /dev/ph that
causes it to delay sending outgoing data (my ^C) when there is incoming
data? If so, has anyone written a better device driver for /dev/ph?
If not, does anyone know how this sort of problem can be avoided?

--
John Mellor-Crummey     Center for Research on Parallel Computation
johnmc at rice.edu         Rice University, P.O. Box 1892