How do you change the uname on an AT&T PC7300?

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Tue Aug 14 17:43:53 AEST 1990

bamford at cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) in
<1990Aug13.162334.22632 at cbnewsd.att.com> writes:

	In article <299 at alix.UUCP> jdc at alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:
	>Hello:-)
	>
	>	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
	>However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.

	Edit /etc/namesys as needed.  This is called during boot and it is
	a one shell script calling the program setuname.

	-- Harold

Uhh, James hasn't identified the SPECIFIC network upon which he wishes to
install his 3B1.  Mine are on two networks, and there ARE differences.

Re: AT&T StarLAN, my /etc/namesys contains:

	/usr/net/netname -n thadlabs

Re: WIN/3B Ethernet, the operative program appears to be /usr/bin/hostname,
which DOES check the existing utsname because:

	$ hostname -?
	Warning does not match utsname->thadlabs
	sethostname: Not owner

And, of course, there are the additional names tucked away in places such
as /etc/hosts, etc.

I suggest following the installation instructions accompanying whatever network
software/hardware combination is being installed.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]