Seagate Reseller News: quotes without comment

Joe Smith jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM
Sun Aug 26 20:12:14 AEST 1990

In article <2219 at moscom.UUCP> mcc at moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) writes:
>In article <32878 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>And why does Seagate spell "disk" as "disc"?  I thought only H-P and the French
>>did that.
>It was only since the advent of personal computing that the disc became the
>disk.  I only just converted over to the _new_ spelling recently.

It was spelled disk long before personal computing.  Back in the late 60's
DEC was using disk; the devices were referred to a DSKA:, DSKB:, etc.
I think the 3-letter abbreviation DSC was already in use by another device.
(But then, disks on a PDP-10 were connected to a Kontroller.  Go figure.)

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms