UNIX PC Archives at Ohio State University (ftp instructions update)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Tue Aug 7 06:28:47 AEST 1990

In a recent mail message to me from Bob Sutterfield (bob at MorningStar.Com),
he stated ...

|From the Monthly Posting about OSU-CIS ...
|   "...
|   Users with FTP access may simply connect to cis.ohio-state.edu (IP
|   address [128.146.8.62])..."
|
|That will work so long as cheops' is the first A record your
|nameserver happens to notice, right?  What's more, the NIC whois
|record for cis.ohio-state.edu claims it to be at 128.146.8.61, which
|is giza's address.
|
|Might it be better for your 7300-getting instructions to explicitly
|say "ftp to cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu"?

Thanks for correcting me Bob, you're absolutely correctly.  It just
so happened that the first address record in my local nameserver was
cheops (at least it was yesterday!)  This morning I tried just a simple
ftp cis.ohio-state.edu, and sure enough it connected to
giza.cis.ohio-state.edu, and not cheops.  The NFS mount points are
different, and the ~pub/att7300 wasn't there.  So from now on, specify
cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (or explicitly the IP address of [128.146.8.62])
and you won't have any problems.

The Monthly Posting has been appropriately updated (you'll see that next
month).

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |