How to use kermit and xmodem

Norman Yarvin yarvin-norman at cs.yale.edu
Tue Aug 7 16:21:49 AEST 1990

In article <1997 at sud509.ed.ray.com> sardella at tdw254.ed.ray.com writes:
>How do you use kermit with the internal modem on the 3b1?  I have tried
>using kermit to log into another computer and I could not get that to run
>and I also tried using kermit by setting the line to /dev/ph0 and speed to
>speed to 1200.

You need a version of kermit that understands the internal modem, and you
need to tell it to use the internal modem ("set dialer?" I forget.).

Then you need to convince kermit to start up.  I have been able to do that
by starting in VOICE mode, removing /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph0, starting up
kermit and telling it to open the line, then running phtoggle to switch to
DATA mode, then telling kermit to dial.  A strange hack, and god knows what
it would do if I were running uucp, but it worked.

Norman Yarvin					yarvin-norman at cs.yale.edu