two questions about the 3b1

Andy Fyfe andy at juno.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 19 02:42:11 AEST 1990

In article <24776 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> andersom at tramp.Colorado.EDU (ANDERSON MARC O) writes:
>[1] - Is it just me (or my machine) or does it take all of you 3b1'ers
>a half an hour to compile small stuff with g++?  (gnu c++)

The problem might well be "malloc".  If you want to see what can happen,
write a program that does
	do {
		p = malloc(4000);
		printf("malloc returns %x\n", p);
	} while (p != 0);
and compare this program when linked with libc/shlib to this program linked
with -lmalloc.

At one point I had compiled g++ on my 3b1 (though I got rid of it when I
realized it couldn't compile larger programs for lack of virtual address
space) and I compared the times for the osu version, and the ones I compiled
with the shlib, -lmalloc, and gnu malloc.  The difference was, I believe
about an hour versus 4 minutes.  (Though the quicker ones got through 3 or
4 fewer source lines before giving me a virtual memory exhausted error.)

If you want to link with -lmalloc and still use the shared library, you
need a program like shcc or the shared ld (that I wrote, but based on shcc)
which you can find in the osu archives as well.

Andy Fyfe				andy at csvax.cs.caltech.edu
					....!ames!elroy!cit-vax!andy