More UNIXPC trivia

ronald.l.fletcher gnome at cbnewsj.att.com
Thu Aug 16 03:39:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug14.090413.8821 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us>, todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
> Here is what he had to say about his involvement with the UNIXPC:
>
> %Not much to say.......I early on worked with a local industrial designer
> %(stylist) named Mike Nutall from Matrix Design and an industrial designer
> %from AT & T working out some of the basic styling stuff.  Our names are on
> %the styling design patent......although I'm not sure I want to be associated
> %with it because of the way the design turned out.  We had the early mockups
> %made at a place in San Jose named The Model Studio.  As the project got into
> %the design stage, a separate division was set up and they hired in a new team
Well I like it and so does Hollywood. While I have never seen a PC6300
in a movie or TV show, the UNIXPC (510 terminal also) and its High-tech
styling have shown up in several. IMO it looks much nicer than any
IBM-PC or clone. The only one I like better is the 6386E WGS tower machine
and its fluorescent display, but that is a floor standing machine.

The 2 dubious physical design decisions were the almost impossible to access
phone jacks on the back and the hidden-by-keyboard floppy drive.

> MiniFrame on a desk.  I remember seeing some mockups that were rejected,
> but I can't recall what they looked like, exactly.  One of them may have
> been kinda IBMPCish.  BTW, the reason the shape was patented is that
             ^^^

Well I'm glad that one was scrapped!

> My dad was kinda disappointed with the way the design turned out.  The

Well tell him there is at least one person out there who really likes it!

						Ron Fletcher
						att!mtgzy!rlf