More UNIXPC trivia

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
Tue Aug 14 19:04:13 AEST 1990

I'm not sure how much you guys know about the Convergent <==> AT&T
connection on the UNIXPC, but it was hot and heavy.  My dad (Al Day)
was working in the section that did the work on MegaFrame and MiniFrame.
His line of work is hard to pin down to a title...  Basically, he designs
and lays out everything you actually see on a computer, plus takes care
of power distribution, cooling, and FCC approvals.

Here is what he had to say about his involvement with the UNIXPC:

%Not much to say.......I early on worked with a local industrial designer
%(stylist) named Mike Nutall from Matrix Design and an industrial designer
%from AT & T working out some of the basic styling stuff.  Our names are on
%the styling design patent......although I'm not sure I want to be associated
%with it because of the way the design turned out.  We had the early mockups
%made at a place in San Jose named The Model Studio.  As the project got into
%the design stage, a separate division was set up and they hired in a new team
%specifically for the program......I elected to stay with my ongoing job
%instead of going into the new division.

Actually, a very wise decision, as it turned out.

The reason it started in his department is that the UNIXPC is simply a
MiniFrame on a desk.  I remember seeing some mockups that were rejected,
but I can't recall what they looked like, exactly.  One of them may have
been kinda IBMPCish.  BTW, the reason the shape was patented is that
AT&T patents everything they can.  We both think it's kinda silly.

My dad was kinda disappointed with the way the design turned out.  The
flip-top hood design of the inner shield is kinda kludgy, but that was
done after they created an entirely new division to service AT&T.

Next:  my fun summer as a temp worker for Convergent...

--
Todd Day |   todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd
	"I believed what I was told, I thought it was a good