Seagate Reseller News: quotes without comment

The QRPer k2ph at cbnewsj.att.com
Fri Aug 17 22:50:18 AEST 1990

>From article <32878 at cup.portal.com>, by thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan):
>
> BYTE Magazine honoring the ST-251?  [I'm REALLY restraining myself here] The
> ONLY way to "honor" a ST-251 drive is to toss it as far away as one can.

I've seen ST-251s panned on the net.  I've also seen Miniscribe drives
praised and, frankly, I can't understand any of it!  My experience is
exactly the opposite.  True, my experience is limited to UNIX(r) PCs
and one XT clone, but we've had nothing but trouble with Miniscribe
drives.  Eventually, we gave up on the Miniscribes and replaced them
all with ST-251s.  We haven't had a single recorded hard disk error
in over two years (knock on wood).  We've never had any trouble with
them not spinning.  Other problems I've heard of on the net have never
occurred with any of the drives we have.  I've talked with other Bell
Labs people who have had similar experiences.

I would recommend a ST-251 to anyone.

Oh yes, the aforementioned opinions are the sole property of me
and have nothing to do with any of my employers, past, present,
or future.

Bob Schreibmaier K2PH  | UUCP: att!oblivion!k2ph or k2ph at oblivion.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories | ARPA: k2ph%oblivion at att.arpa
Lincroft, N.J. 07738   | ICBM: 40o21'N, 74o8'W