Seagate Reseller News: quotes without comment

Mike Corbett mcc at moscom.UUCP
Fri Aug 17 21:26:16 AEST 1990

In article <32878 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>And why does Seagate spell "disk" as "disc"?  I thought only H-P and the French
>did that.

Way back when, in the early stages of development of computers, mass storage
had evolved to a magnetic drum. Then one day a _new_ idea was had.  Let's make
a flat drum that doesn't have that nasty problem of expanding as it spins
faster.  Ok, we'll make it in the shape of a discus (round flat thing, the
original frisbee). And because discus is too long of a word we'll shorten it
to disc.

It was only since the advent of personal computing that the disc became the
disk.  I only just converted over to the _new_ spelling recently.

I must be getting old. I remember core memory. And switching to the new high
speed 300 baud modems (from 110 baud). :-)

Mike