UNIXPC trivia

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
Tue Aug 14 13:01:11 AEST 1990

lenny at icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
%Are you sure it just said 1/2 MB?   I seem to remember the humor of seeing
%1 1/2MB 5.25" double sided/double density floppy drive (unformatted) - 48TPI.

That's on the back.  It says
1 1/2 MB 5-1/4" double-sided double-density drive (unformatted) -48 TPI

Most people read that as
(1 + 1/2) MB
but I think they meant
1 (1/2 MB)

%Well I forget the model, but AT&T had a telephone, computer terminal pair
%(was it the 510?) that looked like a minature PC7300, with a builtin-phone.
%They (CT) even had a version of "TAM" called "Touch TAM", that would
%convert the touching of the screen on that machine to TAM-equivalent
%escape codes.  Imagine that, touching the "Filecabinet" to open it up, and
%then touching the "file" to edit that ...  Reminds me of the days of
%light-pens! ;-)

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was the 510.  I don't believe it had a keyboard,
though, only a telephone touchpad.  I have some interesting stories about
that (see next couple articles).  One of the options on the touch screen
was to bring up a picture of a keyboard so you could use that for data
entry.  The reason you don't see these machines in surplus land is that
most of them ended up in AT&T internal (including a large chunk of the
UNIXPC inventory).  I actually did see ONE of these guys hooked up to
a UNIXPC, with the UA running.  Come to think of it, there MUST have been
some kind of external keyboard interface...

--
Todd Day |   todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd
	"I believed what I was told, I thought it was a good