UNIXPC trivia

ronald.l.fletcher gnome at cbnewsj.att.com
Wed Aug 15 04:04:12 AEST 1990

In article <652 at westmark.UU.NET>, dave at westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:

> Yes, it was the 510.  Two models: the 510-A and the 510-D.  The -A
> model was analog, and could connect with two telephone lines.  One
> was normally used for speaking, the other with the internal modem.
> The -D was the digital model, which would connect only with the AT&T
> System 85 and System 75 PBXs.  It uses DCP (a proprietary digital
> link similar to but not compatible with ISDN) and provides 64 kbit
> voice and data connectivity with other PBX endpoints.  It could
> provide up to four call-pickup buttons, and a number of feature
> buttons, as well.

Well actually 3 models, the "D" model had an early vintage which
did not have an EIA port.

> The screen (and optional keyboard) emulated a VT-100, including
Was it optional? I never saw one without it.

> 132-col mode, and smooth-scroll.  The handset and internal
> speakerphone emulate a 2500 set on the 510-A, and a 7400 digital set
> on the 510-D.  On the -D, if your PBX had all of the optional
> features working, the screen normally shows pictures of line, hold,
> conference, and speed-dial buttons.  You touch them, and place a
> call.  When someone calls you, a button-symbol blinks and the
> caller's number or name are displayed next to the blinking button.
> If you invoke the internal directory, names are displayed on the
> screen.  You "reach out and TOUCH someone" and it dials their
> number.
>
> And yes, if you used it to log into a UNIX-PC running TAM, you got
> "Touch Target TAM" on your 510 screen.  The touch screen, actually,
> used optical techniques very much like a light-pen.  When you
> touched the screen, your finger-pressure dimpled a transparent
> flexible piece of plastic.  Some transparent jelly was sandwiched
> between this piece of plastic and another, against the CRT face.
> The dimple would reflect light from the CRT screen toward some photo
> detectors at the corners of the screen.  The sense electronics
> connected thereto would receive a pulse of light and correlate it
> with the position of the raster scan, and determine what you had
> touched on your screen.
>
> A very neat terminal, as I recall.  Probably one of the most
> expensive telehpones ever offered for sale.  Also, a rather costly
> VT-100 emulator.  But, like the flying submarine, it was a better
> telephone than most data terminals, and a far better data terminal
> than most telephones!

Any idea what these things retailed for?

Funny a 510 discussion should start now, the lab next door
just trashed 4 of these. I walked by them for a week and the
hardware hacker in me got the better of me. There must be some
neat application for a touch-screen. It took 3 of them
to get 1 fully functional 510D with EIA port. I hooked it up DCP-wise
to a System 75 and ran its internal tests and played awhile.
Pretty neat. I havent had a chance to hook it up to a UNIXPC
yet, but I will soon.

These were a hot item internally for a while, but with the advent
of PC-PBX (DCP interface for UNIXPC or PC6300) they became passe'.

I was told that a number of retiree's got 510A's for a going away
present.

					Ron Fletcher
					att!mtgzy!rlf