Access to osu-cis for UNIX PC Archives

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Wed Aug 1 11:06:22 AEST 1990

In article <480 at lock60.UUCP> mhw at lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:
|>In article <1224 at icus.ICUS.COM> lenny at icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|>>
|>>Since Brant Cheikes resigned from the Ohio State University UNIX PC Archive
|>>maintainer, nothing has been updated since June 10, 1990.  I know there
|>>were several people who said they would take over his work, but that was
|>>the last we heard from them.  If no one "stands" up and takes over it,
|>>and no one has any objections, I will offer my services and maintain
|>>the archives ...  Let me know folks!
|>>
|>Funny you should mention this, I was just about to post. When Brant resigned,
|>both John Milton and I volunteered to work on this. I felt that John would
|>make a better candidate, because of his greater experience with the unix-pc.
|>Unfortunately, John does not have FTP access, and according to Karl at OSU,
|>their guest account policy has "gotten weird", so he is unable to give John
|>a shell account, and the archive can only be maintained by FTP. John and I
|>were in the process of figuring out if and how we could do this together,
|>where he would identify and collect items for the archives, and I would do
|>the physical maintenance of the archives and the monthly posting stuff.
|>
|>Lenny, if you can do this (do you have ftp access?) and would rather do it
|>yourself, that's OK with me. Or you could join John and I. It might be more
|>work than one person would want to do in their spare time, or with the three
|>of us it could get the attention it really deserved! Anyway, let John & I
|>know what you want to do. Sorry to all you other unix-pc.netters out there
|>for keeping you in suspense. I'll try to resolve this quickly.

Well so far the response I've gotten has been overwhelmingly favorable for
me to do the job, although I don't want to stomp on anyone's toes.  I guess
no one would be worried too much, since it's not a very glamorous job ;-)
I've gotten responses like, "well, I thought you were doing it already ..."

Well I do have FTP access, through a local university.  How local it remains
depends on where a new job (if one ever comes through) takes me.  I'm sure
one way or another I'll have Internet/ftp access.  Remember I've been taking
care of the max.physics.sunysb.edu archives for MGR and other things for
quite some time.  I like OSU since it offers anonymous uucp as well...

My feelings is that it doesn't require three (3) people to do the job, one will
surfice, and did for quite some time, very well I might add.  Having too many
hands working on this will just confuse who's doing what when.  All I
wanted to see is getting the UNIX PC archives as up-to-date as can be and
keep it that way for the rest of the UNIX PC community out there.

For the amount of programs that get posted to unix-pc.sources, and for
the amount of updates to them, I doubt we'll need three people working on it.
So, as I leave it now, it's up to you guys -- whatever you want to do, if
you want me to deal with the archives, then my offer still stands.  If you
want to deal with it together, then so be it.

The answer will be coming to the rest of the world shortly...  Let's
continue this via email -- John, you listening -- you've been quiet
yourself lately?

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |