Priam Drive questions

Raymond C. Schafer schafer at peyote.cactus.org
Wed Aug 1 09:05:08 AEST 1990

In article <32223 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> schafer at peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) in <1737 at peyote.cactus.org>
> writes:
>
> 	Does anyone know the details of getting a Priam Model 519
> 	drive to work in a unix pc?  It is a 15 head 1224 cylinders
> 	MFM / RLL.
>
> 	... I'm running a 3b1 2meg with
> 	a WD2010bpl04 controller.  ( The controller works well
> 	with my seagate and also the miniscribe 3085.)  I'm using
> 	the new diagnostic disk.
>
> 	...[other material deleted]...
>
> The one item "missing" from the above description is whether or not the
> P5.1 upgrade has been installed; the P5.1 (any of the three variations)
> permits using a drive possessing more than 8 heads.

No.  It is not yet upgraded to a P5.1.   I just want to see If I can
format it as 8 heads 1224 cylinders for the time being.

> Without a detailed listing of what the UNIXPC reports as a problem using
> the Priam, I can only conjecture the absence of the P5.1 being the culprit.

It does not boot.  With the diagnostic disk in the floppy drive, and the
drive connected, the UNIX PC just keeps putting rows and rows of those
little rectangles across the screen.  (I only let it make 3 rows before I
gave up.)

> For reference, the 3 variations of ``P5.1'' are:
> [remainder deleted]

Thanks, I plan to get Lenny and s plans and board(?)

I did get some mail from a helpful soul who has this drive running on
his UPC.  He described the SW1 settings needed.  I will try this,
and post results for future reference (if it works! :-))

Ray

Ray Schafer				schafer at peyote.cactus.org
Austin, Texas				..cs.utexas.edu!peyote!micrtk!micro