Is this a good Idea? WAS Re: root passwd change on 3b2/310

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Wed Aug 1 03:23:43 AEST 1990

In article <294 at alix.UUCP> isolated at alix.UUCP (James D. Corder)
writes:

$ 	I was about to respawn to this question.  Then it struck me:
$ How does one know if said poster is the SysAdmin?  If he/she is then
$ I would have no problem giving out such information.  Could a responce
$ to such cause the root [zero id] password to be changed on all the
$ 3B2s at BigWig U?

I don't think it's worthwhile to try to keep info on how to break in
secret.  It won't work.  So if I run a system and I know how it can be
broken, I may know how to prevent or watch for breakins.

I think our legal system is built this way.  It's legal for me to tell
you how to make a bomb.  It's illegal for you to set one off.
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr at samadams.princeton.edu
                                        rutgers!princeton!samadams!tr