3B2/300 and SCSI (repost)

~XT6561340~Doug W. Barnes~C29~M18~7104~ dwb at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Mon Aug 27 22:38:35 AEST 1990

>I posted an article a few days ago asking in u3b.misc if anyone had a
>SCSI card for sale for a 3B2/300.
>
>1) Is there even such a thing as a SCSI for 3B2?  I thought I've heard
>   of SCSI's being used on the lower end models.

Yes, you can add SCSI peripherals to any model 3B2 with the appropriate
hardware and software.  Although, this was never tested on a 300, I know it
works because I have done it.  The problem comes with support, since it was
never tested, it is not a supported configuration.

>2) How much does one of those cards go for retail?

Probably more than the 3B2/300 is worth.

>3) Where do I get one retail?

>From your friendly account representative.

>4) Where do I get one discounted?

Look in the computer rags.  Some companies do sell used 3B2 equipment.

>5) Will I experience a performance improvement?  I can't imagine why I
>   wouldn't since the CDC in my 3B2 is just about the slowest hard drive
>   around.

Yes, and you will also be able to add drives just by cabling them on the
end of the bus.

>6) Can the SCSI be used for paging?

The current releases of UNIX are paging releases.
Your best bet is using Release 3.2 if you are going to try this adventure.

>Anything else I should know about SCSI's and 3B2's???

Your best bet is to forget adding this to the 300 and consider a 3B2/500 or
600.  You'll get all the hardware you need standard, a better OS, and an MAU,
better memory expansion and a tape drive for backups all standard.