New Root disk for UNIXPC

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Mon Aug 13 00:50:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug11.184541.273 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>[...]
>Anyway, what I am wondering, is:  What is the least painful way
>to copy my entire 67MB drive to the 100MB drive and then make
>the 100MB drive my new root drive?  Keep in mind that I want to
>somehow unfragment the files in the process, so I think using
>dd is out of the questiong.

	"dd" won't work because it copies _everything_,
	including the information about the amount of
	disk space used in the file system. (I suppose
	you could make a partition of the exact number
	of blocks as the original, but...)

	Anyway, what you want is

		find /mnt -depth -print | cpio -pdmu /mnt2

	which would be done by making up a floppy file system
	with at least find and cpio on it. You can make a
	copy of disk 3 of the O/S foundation set of the
	installation floppys, and modify its etc/profile so
	as not to take you thru the installation procedure.

	Once you've installed the mod for 2 drives, boot
	the Floppy Boot disk 2 of the foundation set, and
	then use your newly-created floppy file system disk
	when prompted for disk 3.

	Then proceed to mount the old drive on /mnt; then
	mkdir /mnt2 and mount the new drive on it (which you've
	already formatted & made a file system on). Then you
	can issue the find/cpio sequence shown above. Since
	you're writing to a new file system, it will of course
	be unfragmented...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	 "I still have my phil-os-o-phy" - Meredith Monk