New Root disk for UNIXPC

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Sun Aug 12 16:03:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug11.184541.273 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
(Todd Day) writes:
|>I've been thinking about getting the John Milton disk mod
|>and getting two hard drives.  I'd like to get about a 100MB
|>(formatted) drive with under 20ms access time.  Then, I want
[...]
|>Anyway, what I am wondering, is:  What is the least painful way
|>to copy my entire 67MB drive to the 100MB drive and then make
|>the 100MB drive my new root drive?  Keep in mind that I want to
|>somehow unfragment the files in the process, so I think using
|>dd is out of the questiong.

Well since we don't have a nice utility called dcopy(1M) on the 3B1, we'll
have to settle for the next best thing to copy entire filesystems ...
(BTW: For those who wonder, dcopy is a utility to copy one filesystem to
another, optimizing seek performance based on last accessed files, it also
will group all the blocks so they are contiguous.  I was told this week
by John McMillian (jcm at pegasus.att.com) that there is something even better
called fscopy?  that takes into account size as well as access time.  Of
course we'll never see something like that for the 3B1 from AT&T ...
volcopy(1M) [also not showing up in our UNIX command subset] copies byte for
byte, bit for bit ... so no defragmentation would occur)

Anyhow, back to what I was saying, the next best thing to use is cpio,
yes, cpio.

# find / -print | sort > /tmp/FILES	(I like sorting my files..)
# vi /tmp/FILES				(Remove anything you don't want copied)
# mount /dev/fp012 /mnt			(Mount that new disk slice of yours...
					 Note root will HAVE to be slice 2,
					 since slice 1 is swap)
# cat /tmp/FILES | cpio -pduvm /mnt
[...]
Sit back and wait as the filesystems get copied over.

# /etc/ldrcpy /dev/rfp000 /dev/rfp010

(This will put a boot loader on the second disk ... copied from the first disk)

Now your set, swap the drives (remembering to swap the drive selects as well)
and you'll be set, with a nice and fast, unfragmented root partition.

|>Also, any comments or suggestions concerning my choice of new
|>drive would be appreciated...

100MB formatted is an odd amount, probably have to go for something like
a Maxtor XT-1140, which is ~113MB formatted, of course you could push
the XT-1140 to the full 1224 cylinders and get ~151MB...  The Maxtor
drive seek times aren't anything terrific though...

Let us know what you decide for a drive ... and how it works out.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |