Reorganization of comp.sys.att (was: CFD: create comp.sys.3

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Tue Dec 4 01:26:57 AEST 1990

I won't bore you with thousands of lines of included articles, just my 2 cents
worth.

I am strongly in favor of creating a new main-stream group to *replace* the
existing unix-pc.* hierarchy.  My primary reason for this is to solve the
problem of poor connectivity.  There are several major sites that refuse to
carry the unix-pc groups because they are not part of the main-stream and
as a result there are many isolated pockets of activity.  Since the unix-pc
(aka pc-7300, aka 3b1) has been officially abandoned by ATT, the newsgroup
is the primary means of support available to most of the owners of the machine.
Improved connectivity for a group designated for discussion of this machine
would greatly benefit all of the people who own one.

I think the issue of reorganizing comp.sys.att into multiple sub-groups is
a separate but not completely un-related issue.  Some people seem to strongly
support a reorg so I am therefore changing my original position and am now
coming out in favor of the name 'comp.sys.att.3b1'.  I am also in favor of
a moderated sources group called 'comp.sources.3b1'.  When I orginally
proposed a moderated sources group I volunteered to act as moderator and I
am still willing.  I am also seeking volunteers to act as co-moderators so
that we can avoid problems in the future.  I envision my role as moderator
as simply a filter to ensure that all of the postings are either source
programs or patches.

In summary, I think we should proceed with creating comp.sys.att.3b1 and
comp.sources.3b1 (moderated).  The issue of attempting a reorganization of
the other ATT machines into subgroups can be dealt with later but by naming
this group as a subgroup of c.s.a we have paved the way for the reorg (or
at least we have not done anything to block it).

Let's Vote!
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com