Info on AT&T 3B2-300 needed

20 James D. Corder isolated at alix.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 11:01:11 AEST 1990

In article <7841 at hub.ucsb.edu> crmeyer at nobbs.physics.ucsb.edu writes:
>I am considering the purchase of a true Unix box for tinkering at home. I
>have found someone with a AT&T 3B2-300 for sale with 1MB of RAM, 2 40mb
>hard drives (1 internal, 1 external) and a XM (?) tape drive. It is
>supposidy running Sys V ver 2.4 (or could be 2.04).

	Pick up a copy of "Unix World" or "Unix Today"  In the back
they list used 3B systems forsale.  The XM box is a great option, if the
software to run it is included.

	Most machines:
		3B2-300 2mb ram, 72mb drive, 1 i/o card ~$1,800.00

>The seller claims >that going to a newer revision would require a memory
>upgrade.

	I have a 2mb system.  I wish that I could put more ram in my box!!!
However, the cost is prohibitive.  As for the upgrade:  I heard that SYSV.3x
will run on the 3B2/300 but not as fast as on the 310.  Also, SYSV.4x will not
run on the 300 only on the 310 and up.

>Is it possible to get the development
>software for a system like this at a reasonable price? Any reccommendations
>on sources?

	Though I love AT&T, Nothing they sell for the 3B2 line is at a
reasonable price.

>Charles R. Meyer
>Internet: crmeyer at voodoo.ucsb.edu
>Bitnet:   crmeyer at voodoo