3B2 SCSI Software Question

Bob Daniel rad at genco.bungi.com
Wed Dec 12 08:58:23 AEST 1990

In article <3687.2761D6F6 at onebdos.UUCP> Robb.Thomas at f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) writes:

>    Also, one of my manuals mentions another disk called
>AT&T 3B2 SCSI Disk Controller Utilities is needed in order
>to make a SCSI hard disk work on this machine...  The
>book's olde and is probably for UNIX Rel 3.0..  Does this
>apply to Release 3.2???
>
>   Talking with AT&T, they tell me I need Network Support
>Utilities to make the SCSI card work??  I am asking for a
>second opinion on this on???  It seems rather 'strange' to
>require a NETWORKING disk to make SCSI function??

If that's true, then I'm running on magic.  I have a SCSI drive on my 3B2/600
and don't have the NSU installed.  Go into firmware and do a 'filledt' then
run 'dgmon' and do the following:

dng scsi ph=17

This will run phase 17 diagnostics and will tell let you know of any scsi
conflicts and if it can see all the SCSI devices out there.  After running
dgmon, do another 'filledt' and generate a new unix by running '/etc/system'.
This will create the devices if they don't already exist for your tape drive.

Also, 'prtconf' as super-user would let you know if your 3B recognizes the
tape drive.