need refresher course on DC600A / AT&T STU problems

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Thu Dec 6 11:56:43 AEST 1990

->Sorry to rehash this, but our news host is eating articles again.
->
->If anybody saved the thread about AT&T 120/125 MB STU tape problems
->with DC600A tapes (and the suggested replacement model, info on
->firmware/driver updates, etc.), please email it to me!  Thanks
->in advance.

Well, not exactly what you where looking for BUT:

I am looking to find something reliable to put in my 6386E.  When I called
the local Wantek rep, he sayeth:

1. AT&T is now using Wangtek drives, in particular 5150pk's;

2. He thought the 30 pass limit on tapes was crazy; they recommend 200 passes;

3. He suggested that I avoid the DC600A tapes and only get DC600XTD tapes;
something about having additional rollers and guides and being more reliable.