Removal of unix-pc groups

Mark H. Weber mhw at lock60.UUCP
Sat Dec 15 18:33:06 AEST 1990

In article <60752 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	    ...  I'd like to point out that the
>	unix-pc phenomenon has been remarkable in some
>	very important ways, perhaps uniquely. In being
>	able to support at a very high and progressive
>	level an obsoleted machine, a standard has been
>	set which can be applied in many other contexts.
>	This has such value that it ought to endure beyond
>	the life of the system which it started with.
>	Perhap the move to comp. has this possibility,
>	but it needs to be made more explicit or its
>	importance may be forgotten, which would be
>	tragic...

Mr. Becker has done it again - written something I can agree with :-)

I think that part of what's bothering him, and a few others (myself
included), is the assumption that the creation of a new unix-pc group
in the comp hierarchy can automatically be linked to a removal of
the unix-pc.* groups. This network was not created via the mainstream
group creation procedure. It was built one link at a time, and it'll
probably have to come apart the same way. If and when the new group
is established is the time to start local (unix-pc only) discussions
about removal of the old groups. For myself, I suspect I will continue
to accept postings in the unix-pc hierarchy for a quite some time to
come. I think we need to make sure that the spirit gets transferred
to the new group, not just the traffic.

Oh, yeah - Don't forget to vote. I haven't yet, but I will.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw at Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning