Removal of unix-pc groups

Bruce D. Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 12:55:31 AEST 1990

In article <552 at hico2.UUCP> kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
|[...]
|To fix unix-pc distribution problems, we almost need
|something like a "mini-backbone" subset, guarenteeing
|that unix-pc articles reaching one of the machines WILL
|reach the other machines, and not using att, uunet, or the
|internet.  (providing a complete and fully redundant path)

	Recently I created a point-to-point news distribution
	system which uses email to send news batches and
	which injects them into news at destination.

	Because the mail system is the delivery agent,
	primary and secondary mailing lists can achieve
	effective long-distance propagation to bridge
	over usenet gaps.

	Any mailer system with a "pipe" function such
	as sendmail or the patched version of smail2.5
	will work fine at the receiving end.

	The news batches are encoded in a manner similar
	to, but more efficient than, uuencoded files.
	Optional simple password encryption is provided
	for those as needs it...

	If such a system proves handy I can make it
	available.  Currently it runs on several platforms
	besides the 3B1 (SysVr4, 4.3BSD), and I'll soon
	have it working on Amiga UUCP as well...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	 "Any closer and you'd be in the way" - ad for TV news program