comp.sys.3b1.*?

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Dec 1 08:46:04 AEST 1990

wilber at alice.att.com (Bob Wilber) in <11686 at alice.att.com> writes:

Re a "sources" group:

>Yes, and administrators provide the long expiration times and automatic
>archiving because they know that a *moderated* source group isn't full of
>junk that nobody's going to want to look at two weeks later.
>If a separate sources group is to be created at all, it should be moderated.
>First, that will increase the probability of it passing, since the Guardians o
>The moderator should only ensure that the article posted is of the right sort,
>he should not be expected to check the code for viruses, track down bugs, or
>even ensure that the stuff compiles.  So the delays shouldn't be too bad.

Fine.  If, say, 1 or 2 day turnaround (with possible co-moderators) can be
assured, I'm sure we can live with that.

And Bob's comments re: people's interpretation of "UNIX PC" and "PC" do seem
to reflect the present state-of-affairs.  Sigh.

Any (re-)organization of comp.sys.att should be handled by those willing to
spend the time on THAT issue.

Let's solve the original problem which was to assure easy world-wide
distribution of "a" newsgroup for the 3B1/UNIXPC/PC7300.  From email I've
received over the years, it's clear we have interested parties in Europe,
Japan and Australia, and they DO NOT get the present "unix-pc.*" but DO get
comp.sys.att

The way to solve the problem is to become a "mainstream" newsgroup.

I don't feel strongly about the name, so let's go with:

	comp.sys.3b1, and
	comp.sources.3b1

I'm sure many of us read OTHER newsgroups, so it's easy to direct someone to
"our" newsgroup if we see messages elsewhere asking about the systems.

Let's see if we can get a vote started BEFORE the upcoming holidays.  Don't
want to see the 3-week period encompassing the period around December 25
because that would complicate receiving everyone's votes.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]