Printing through UUCP

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Thu Dec 20 00:44:34 AEST 1990

In article <1868 at fallst.UUCP>, tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> In <18809 at netcom.UUCP> cmilono at netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) writes:
>
> >I have implemented this using UUX commands; below is a sample command
> >which can be included in a standard lp/interfaces script, as appropriate.
>
> >uux "remote!lp !myfile1"  [this would print myfile on a printer on remote]
>
> You must also "authorize" the 'lp' command to be executed via uux.

On some versions of UNIX in which I have done this, the data files were
removed as soon as the remote lp command was executed.  However, the
printing via lpsched occurred at some later time and had no data files
to print.

Thus, it was necessary to either write a customized shell script to
copy the data files to a safe location (then administrative cleanup
was required), pass the files to lp via standard in ("lp < data"),
or use the copy option ("-c") of lp to force it to make private
copies of the data that it automatically deletes upon printing.

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon