Printing through UUCP

Norman J. Meluch norm at cfctech.cfc.com
Wed Dec 19 03:40:14 AEST 1990

In article <11702 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> hallt at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
(Tim C. Hall) writes:

{T} Got a question:
{T}     We have two AT&T 3B2 hosts running UUCP.  One has a printer attached,
{T} and we wish to allow the other host to send print jobs remotely via UUCP.
{T} How is this best achieved?

In response rad at genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
{B} The concept is simple.  Just make an interface that redirects
{B} the output to a file and then uucp the file to the destination.  Then,
{B} do a uux on the remote machine.

{T} Any comments, or, better yet, experiences
{T} with accomplishing the above feat would be highly appreciated.

No sweat.

As Bob pointed out it really is simple to do.  We implemented the same thing
here on our Chrysler 3B2s.  Of course, there is a lot of fluff that you can
add to make things work "better" but the concept was:
	just copy the file that the user wants to print, and then
	do a remote uux of the command lp, then remove the copy.
The heart and soul of our script to do this looks like this:
	#
	# Print the file on remote computer
	#
	${CAT} ${SPOOLNAME} | \
	${UUX} - ${MACHINE}!"${LPCMD} ${REMOTEP} ${OPTIONS}" &

Of course our script fills in all of the variable names as needed.  Like

Also note that the "-" as the second parm of uux is real important.

One of the biggest troubles that we had doing this was realizing that the
options that are set *really need* to be passed in the uux.  Hence laser
jets will not function properly if you do not `lp -d <printer> -o"stty=-opost"`
and if you do not pass that -opost you're in trouble.

Good luck.

						- Norm.
--
| Mail: norm at cfctech.cfc.com           Fax:(313)948-4975  Voice:(313)948-4809 |