3b1 motherboard question

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Dec 3 23:50:36 AEST 1990

rmfowler at texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) in <1990Dec3.045132.399 at texrex.uucp> writes:

	On my 2 Meg motherboard at location C38, there is a capacitor whose
	legs are touching.  ...

	Since I've been having so many 'parity error' crashes, I'm hoping that
	maybe this is the culprit.

That was a GOOD diagram you drew!  Electronic components are NOT designed
for aerial or elevated connections like you depict, so I'd suggest using a
toothpick (or some other small, non-conducting tool) and "pry" those legs
apart WITH THE SYSTEM POWERED OFF.

"Chances are" (and DON'T ask me to sing that!) there is no permanent damage.

If you have a VOM or DVM you may wish to verify the +5VDC supply is still
within the +/- 5% tolerance (i.e. +5.25 to +4.75) and make any adjustments if
it is not.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]