SOTA 386i on AT&T PC-6300

roger.h.levy rl at cbnewsl.att.com
Sat Dec 29 01:58:23 AEST 1990

In article <&7P^N1*@rpi.edu>, cac at iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Cox) writes:
> 	What I would like to know is does the Sota 286i work as well?
> Gut feeling says yes, the dealer says 'I dunno', and I found one.

It has a worked fine on the small variety of packages (Wordperfect, 123,
Windows 3, GEM, Harvard Graphics, C compilers, Procomm) that I use.  I
have only found it to fail on an astronomy game my son uses but it is
relatively easy to flip to native (8086 on the 6300) mode.

> 	BTW, how does the Sota go in?  The Intel has a forty pin ribbon
> cable that goes out to a dummy chip to plug into the 8086 socket, but it
> was too sort.  I had to make a longer one (and cannabalize that dummy
> chip...they are hard to find it seems).  Does the Sota work the same
> way?

There is a longer cable Sota makes available specifically for the 6300.
I (and others) have found that the it is difficult to keep the cable
properly seated in the processor socket.  I think this is because the
6300 processor socket is upside down and the weight of the cable and
its stiffness tend to exert a downward force on the end of the cable.
Also, the cable has round pins and the processor socket seems to expel
them easily.  There's been some success with jury-rigged mechanical
retention.