3B1 power supplies and 3.51

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Dec 1 08:54:23 AEST 1990

grant at g73.UUCP (Grant Balkema) in <89 at g73.UUCP> writes:

	[...]
	Can one buy (anybody?) an Ethernet card (plus software) and put the
	machines on an Ethernet? (Seems reasonable to me)?

	Apparently these machines were setup to serve a bunch of IBM PC's with
	various Word perfect and Spread sheets.  So this stuff is basically
	useless unless I have a bunch of PC's, right? Any help is appreciated

The Ether cards are available ... about as scarce as hen's teeth.

There are numerous 3B1 systems directly on the "Internet"; this is possible
BECAUSE of the Ethernet card.

If I could put, say, 1 or 2 GB HDs on the 3B1, I'd probably only have one
with another as a backup.  As it is, I have four 3B1 and two MiniFrame
interconnected with a combo of Ethernet and StarLAN simply for the "mass"
disk storage available.  The "server" aspect for PCs was touted primarily
with the StarLAN setup, not the Ethernet.  I don't have ANY "PC"s.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]