crossposting to "unix-pc" newsgroups

Dave Hanna dave at dms3b1.uucp
Sun Dec 2 00:20:43 AEST 1990

In article <57529 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>In article <1990Nov27.020902.24994 at cs.ucla.edu> kirkaas at oahu.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:
>|In article <55543 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
   [ request to stop "Unix on a PC" cross-postings" ]

>|Yet another example the benefits of "comp.sys.3b1"
>
>	Nonsense. "comp.sys.3b1" is unnecessary and
>	probably harmful. I for one will likely
>	vote against it.

    Why do you consider it harmful?

>	It's more important to fix the distribution
>	problems of "unix-pc", which doesn't seem
>	nearly as big a job as some folks imagine.

    How would you propose to do that?  If I'm a leaf node (which many
3b1's are), n hops down from some "backbone" (say n > 2 or 3), and that
backbone refuses to carry non-mainstream groups, how do I fix that?
First of all, to the casual user, it'll take a while to be aware that
I have a problem, because I will be getting some traffic in unix-pc,
namely, that which is cross-posted to comp.sys.att.  Once I'm aware
of it, it will take some considerable sleuthing to find where the problem
is, as was pointed out by the poster that started this discussion.

>	I hereby join the crowd offering to feed
>	"unix-pc" to anyone who requests it...

    That's great for anyone a local phone call from Toronto, but
many 3b1's are 1) not close to any of those that have offered feeds,
and 2) private individuals who don't have corporate budgets to pay
for daily long distance calls to a remote site.  I'm fortunate:
I'm in a metropolitan area with several well-connected sites available
to provide me with feeds.  But there are many who are not in that
situation.

We're now in a "Call For Discussion" period - let's leave the discussion
in news.groups where it belongs.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda