lint on unix-pc / 3b1

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at duke.cs.duke.edu
Thu Dec 6 13:30:31 AEST 1990

I have been writing a project on the 3b1 at home and a SUN sparcstation
at work. The systems are amazingly compatible! (As long as you write
portable code.) Anyway, I use saber-C at work (a wonderful product)
and lint at home on the unix-pc.

A problem with the 3b1 lint arises because it does not accept the
standard C preprocessor defines. The manual makes no reference
to the -D option! As far as the functions I use there are not
many differences but there are a few. So how can I fake lint
into seeing the defines I need without changing the source files?

I tried cc -P which just runs the preprocessor and creates .i files
but lint doesn't like these. I guess I could kludge something
up with m4 but that sure does seem ugly.

Anyone else have frustrations with unix-pc lint?

Tom Pusateri
Duke University
pusateri at cs.duke.edu
pusateri at nbsr.duke.edu