comp.sys.3b1? (was Re: Monthly posting about Unix-PC networ

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Mon Dec 3 05:15:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov28.001913.17990 at uncle.uucp> donlash at uncle.UUCP (Donald Lashomb) writes:
> I don't like the idea of limiting the posting of sources to only one person.
> I understand that source postings are great bandwidth eaters at times.
> However, there doesn't seem to be an over-abundance of bandwidth-eating
> in unix-pc.sources now, I doubt that there would be much in a new group
> either.  Let anybody who has source to share do so without hassles.

Unfortunately, free posting access can lead to trouble too.  I've seen
a lot of software posted to sub-net (alt-net?) groups like unix-pc,
which is entirely pointless.  I.e. an entire package will be posted by
someone who has proudly modified the makefile only so that it will
compile on the particular machine in question.  While this may
sometimes be of an advantage to those sites receiving *only* the
sub-net, and not the group(s) where the original package was first
posted, I think the must be a better way!

Not to mention the fact that if minor changes (eg. mods to a makefile)
are sent back to the original author, a proper official patch will
likely be issued, but if a customised version of a package is released
by a third party, it is likely to be orphaned.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada