3B2 Drives

Eric J. Nihill eric at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Thu Dec 13 10:39:19 AEST 1990

 There has been a few questions about Configuration of Drives
for a 3B2/300-310-400, so here is a summary of the information
that I have to date:

Type			Configuration Variable
	Drive	# of 		# of tracks	# of sectors	# of bytes
	ID	cylinders	/cylinder	/track		/sector

CDC
WREN	3	697		5		18		512

Seagate
10 MB	2	306		4		18		512

CDC
WRENII	5	929		9		18		512

Fujitsu
72 MB	8	754		11		18		512

Mini-
Scribe
6085	4	940		8		18		512

Maxtor
XT-1140 9	918/1024	9		17		512

For more info on using a MAXTOR:
->From: woods at eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods)
->Subject: Re: 3B2 Drives
->The 1140's should be 15 heads, 17 sectors/track, 512 bytes/sector, and
->918 cylinders.  You can format most 1140's to 1024 cylinders.
->Some people say that you can run them right out to 1224 cyl., as long
->as you aren't booting off them.  I never tried it.

(and)
->
->From: woods%eci386 at uunet.UU.NET (Greg A. Woods)
->Subject: Re: Maxtor Drives