CALL FOR VOTES: comp.sys.[att].[3b1|unixpc|safari]

Ed McGuire emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu
Wed Dec 12 11:06:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec7.131017.5447 at bagend.uucp> jan at bagend.uucp (Jan
Isley) writes:

     During the discussion period, a consensus was reached to vote for
     the creation of a group for these systems, and a sources group.

In article <58824 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

     This is a misstatement, at least according to the understanding I
     have of the meaning of the term "consensus".

     A small but significant minority (myself among them, natch)
     objected strongly to this move.

What is required is a concensus among the *proponents* of a new group
proposal.  *Opponents* of a proposal such as yourself can certainly
argue their case during the discussion period, and should obviously
vote against the proposal.  But the existence of a vocal minority
opposing a new group does not justify calling off the vote.
--
peace.  -- Ed
"Over here, Bones!  This man's dying!"