PC6300 w/ 8530 chip?

Jim Knight jfk at ais.org
Thu Dec 13 06:38:09 AEST 1990

In article <MbNapHO00VI8FOUZdd at andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>I've noticed that one of the dipswitches selects between a 8250 and an
>8530 as the chip driving the serial port (I'd have to get and install
>the chip, I guess, but the ROMs support it).  Can anyone out there
>tell me if I'd get improved performance with the 8530 chip?  What
>capabilities would this chip give me?

 The 8250 is pretty much a brain damaged chip from what I hear.  I'm not
 sure about the 8530, but the NS16550AF or AFN are pin compatible
 replacement Uart's that will handle the high speeds.  When I picked up
 my USR Hst 1441 modem (14,400 bps connects)  I had to get a NS16550AFN
 to replace my 8250.  The 8250 could not handle the speeds above 9600.

 Hope this helps.

 Jim.
Come Visit M-net.  Michigan's Public Access Unix and Conferencing
                         (313) 994-5023
jfk at m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us                             jfk at ais.org