Double-ESC (was: Re: 3B1/UNIXPC problems with WD2010 disk chip *SOLVED*)

Andy Heffernan ahh at glyph.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 14:13:10 AEST 1990

In article <37154 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
[...]
>Glad to hear my use of "CDraw 2.0" was a neat idea!  One comment: it, like the
>"Tetrix"-clone, leave the 3B1 console keyboard in a "weird" state regarding
>the use of ESCape key ... this only affects those who use ksh in emacs mode
>for either filename completion or for ESCape sequences to move back-and-forth
>in the line.  In other words, if you run either CDraw or Tetris, each ESCape
>you type comes into the system as TWO escapes.  Comparing the "before" and
>"after" ``stty -a'' shows no obvious problem, but a minor problem it is;
>solution is to log out and then log back in.  Weird.

Heh, heh -- I've seen a lot of this in the past few days.
TAM development has its drawbacks, especially when you're just being
introduced to the mystery of wrastop(3T) and friends.
("What??  Everything's backwards! [flip flip flip -- peruse peruse]
  Ooops...")

I'm developing a program that displays X-Windows BDF fonts, and I've
found that SIGINT'ing out of it provokes this double-ESC phenomenon.
-- Even with a SIGINT-catcher that restores the cursor, wdelete()'s
the window (for good measure) and calls wexit() -- all in the same
sequence I use for normal termination (which leaves everything normal) !

More than ksh are affected -- anything that reads from stdin appears
to suffer this strange malady -- even poor little od.  The behavior
of child processes affecting parent processes, and the lack of any obvious
stty control which relates to this behavior suggests to me that I've
somehow screwed up my console window, and asking init to make me a new one
is the only recourse (as Thad notes).

Is this an already-solved, common TAM-programming problem?
Or an already-exposed bug?

("I would like to play nethack now.")