source for AT&T 5620/630 terminals

Doug Drye KD4NC dug at kd4nc.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 04:27:09 AEST 1990

kca at cbnewsc.att.com (k.c.archie) writes:

>From article <35079 at netnews.upenn.edu>, by ross at cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ross Porter):
>> Does anyone know of a source for used/refurbished layers-compatible
>> terminals (e.g. 5620,630)?  Also, does AT&T make any terminals that
>> can run both layers and X (not at the same time)?

>The AT&T 730X can run both, I believe. It is the follow on to the 630.
>I don't know of a source for used terminals, though.
>**kent
>Kent Archie cbnewsc.att.com

you can upgrade from a 630 to a 730 for the price of upgrade firmware
($100-200) I think ? (contact your distributor).
The NAU's and X server cartridge to add X capability cost more
(I don't know what your distributor's prices would be
so I won't attempt those numbers).

There are two NAU's for the 730 (or converted 630) that can be
used to make it a useful X terminal, one is for the OSI protocol stack
and the other is for TCP-IP. The additional memory needed to use the
730 as an X terminal installs on the NAU board which replaces the
RAM expansion on the 730. The terminal can hold up to
4.5 MB of RAM (all but 640K is in SIMMS.

The NAU interface is 10baseT.

Hope this helps,
Doug
--