HW Flow Control - AT&T SysV/386

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.WESTMARK.COM
Mon Dec 24 09:43:08 AEST 1990

I'm trying to run high-speed (V.32) modems on serial ports using
AT&T SysV/386r3.2.2.  For optimum throughput, this means running the
serial port at 19,200 or better, and letting the modem provide flow
control when it slows the transmission down to its maximum rate.

Software flow control doesn't work if UUCP is talking, because the
X-ON and X-OFF control characters are not escaped by uucp.

Hardware flow control doesn't work because the asy driver supplied
in this UNIX ignores the CTS interface signal.  Two people who
replied to my earlier post on this subject have suggested that I
read the manual, and use other /dev/tty names.  I think this applies
to other flavors of UNIX, there are no other tty names in the dev
directory, or anywhere I have looked in the manual.

A friend sent me a copy of the FAS driver.  If I try to install it
in place of the asy driver, I get undefined symbols called asyinit,
asyputchar2, and several others when I try to link the kernel.

Someone must have installed fas on AT&T UNIX, or solved this problem
in some other way.  Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave at westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857