3b1 BOF in Dallas?

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Mon Dec 31 15:41:10 AEST 1990

>Is anyone organizing a unix-pc BOF for the winter Usenix in
>Dallas?

I organized the original 3B1 BOF a few years back (in San Diego??) and I
am willing to set one up for Dallas.  Lenny has indicated to me in private
mail that he will probably not be attending the conference, although maybe
we can coax him to drop by for the BOF.  What I need from all of you is a
little information to help get things rolling.  If you see this message by
Thursday or Friday, please respond quickly with answers to the following
questions.

1. What day is best for you?  The choices are Tuesday, Wednesday, and
Thursday.  Please indicate a first and second choice.

2. What time is best for you?  This can be related to the first question
if you want (i.e. wed at 8 is best, thurs at 9 is second).  Note that the
only scheduled event listed in the conference brochure is the USENIX
reception which is Thursday from 6 to 8 PM.

3. What topics would you like to see presentation about?

4. What topics are you willing to give a presentation about?

Now that I think about it, the questions are listed in reverse order of
importance.  In order to have a succesfull BOF we need to have people who
are willing to give presentations.  The presentations do not need to be
anything elaborate, they just need to be pertinent to the 3B1.  I will
probably give a presentation on how I adapted the ICUS 2 disk upgrade to
suit my requirements and maybe others can do the same so everyone can
compare notes.  (just to whet your appetite, I built the ICUS upgrade as a
printed circuit board that plugged directly into the socket on the mother
board.  come to the BOF and hear all the details and get a copy of the
schematics!) I may also divulge some of my recent software adventures and
others are encouraged to do likewise.  Perhaps the person who was talking
about a scsi/combo/etc board could present the current status of the
board.

One last thing that perhaps should be addressed is the possibility of
setting up a software exchange.  To do this we need two things:  first we
need people who will bring in software to be exchanged and second we need
to secure the use of a machine to do it on.  I purposely ordered these
items the way I did because I have seen a software exchange attempted
twice in the past, the first time I brought in some software and the
second time Lenny brought in some software.  Unless more people are
willing to bring in software then it doesn't really work.  On the other
hand, this is a cheap way to distribute a lot of software to a lot of
people so maybe I will do it anyway if we can find a machine.  If there is
any particular software that you want (and that I can legally give you),
let me know and if I dont already have it I will attempt to locate it.  I
will post a list of what I've got as soon as I get a chance to inventory
it.  Remember to bring lots of blank disks!
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com
Can I be excused, my brain is full.