PC6300 w/ 8530 chip?

Douglas F. DeJulio dd26+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 13 04:48:03 AEST 1990

I've got an AT&T PC6300 with an NI5010 ethernet card in it.  I want to
make this PC into a router for my house, routing between our ethernet
and our SLIP connection (I'm using the ka9q software).  I can get SLIP
working at 9600 baud, but our line can go to 19.2kbaud.  The PC drops
too many characters at 19.2kbaud, and none of the packets get through
(except for ICMP echo packets).

I've noticed that one of the dipswitches selects between a 8250 and an
8530 as the chip driving the serial port (I'd have to get and install
the chip, I guess, but the ROMs support it).  Can anyone out there
tell me if I'd get improved performance with the 8530 chip?  What
capabilities would this chip give me?
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26 at andrew.cmu.edu