Redirecting console message on a 3b2

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US
Thu Dec 20 21:57:53 AEST 1990

In article <165 at genco.bungi.com>, rad at genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
> This wouldn't get rid of all messages but you could edit /etc/inittab and
> change >/dev/console to a file. Be careful which ones you redirect.
> There may be a better solution but I don't know of one.

Modifying inittab is not the right answer either, as this won't get
any of the daemon processes or kernel messages and the like.  There is
a console logging facility in the newer versions of UNIX (Sys V R3.2)
that put ALL console output into a file, usually /usr/lib/conlog.  If
your UNIX has the file /boot/CONLOG it probably can run this.

I have not set this up, but /dev/osm is the kernel access to the console
log, and /etc/rc2.d/S80errstart is the boot-time script supporting it.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf?