Attempt at choking the dead horse (comp.sys.att.3b1)

Jan Isley jan at bagend.uucp
Tue Dec 4 23:56:58 AEST 1990

markw at gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) writes:

>In article <75918 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
>>
>>OK, I am willing to try and write a charter for the new newsgroup and post
>>it to news.groups, if someone else will volunteer to take votes...
>>
>I'm willing to run the vote, but I'd prefer to run a vote for the rest of
>the new groups at the same time. I would be willing to write the charters
>for all the groups. If some well-connected person will volunteer to moderate
>the comp.sources.att.3b1 group I will run a vote for that, also. In order
>to save time and trouble, a single vote could be used to create all of the
>new groups at the same time:

no, no, and no.

>    comp.sys.att.63xx       6300, 6300 PLUS, 6310, 6386

I think you will have a real fight on your hands if you try to put the
386 unix boxes in with the rest of the dos boxes.

>Unless someone has a strenuous objection, I'll formulate a Call for
>Votes and send it off to the moderator of news.announce.newgroups.
>Hopefully, voting can begin as quickly as the guidelines allow. If you feel
>my proposal needs some modification, please send me email, as I think that
>we've used up enough bandwidth in discussing this. If you would like to
>moderate the comp.sources.att.3b1 group, send me email.

Well, yes Mark, I do object.  I posted the call for discussion, remember?

No, I am not ignoring your mail, your mail bounces, user unknown.

I have been considering your proposals with great care.  However, it is my
opinion that there is a consensus for creating the 3b1 group but you have
really been the only proponent for reorganizing comp.sys.att.

Time, I think, is on our side.  Several people have said that they want to
get a vote in before the holidays.  Well, the holidays are already here.
Further, I think that a vote over the holidays would favor either proposal
because it is my belief that *many* people who are *really* interested in
this (and on our sides) are leaf sites with home systems who would not
miss out on a vote over the holidays.  But, I could be wrong.

Seems to be a lot of grumbling about "too much noise".  Well, people, this
is how the process is supposed to work, to give everyone a chance to voice
an opinion.  That takes time.  I should take time because if it aint done
right, you will have to live with it for  a long time.  Anyone remember
comp.unix.wizards?

I was probably going to post a call for votes this weekend, but if
everyone is really dying to beat me too it, I cannot stop you.

Jan
--
Do not suffer the company of fools.  | home jan at bagend 404-434-1335
Buddha                               | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan