Attempt at choking the dead horse (comp.sys.att.3b1)

jeffrey templon templon at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Dec 4 03:33:31 AEST 1990

OK, I am willing to try and write a charter for the new newsgroup and post
it to news.groups, if someone else will volunteer to take votes.  I will
shortly list points below that I intend to put in.  Unless there are serious
disagreements, I will use these.

1) name: comp.sys.att.3b1, comp.sources.att.3b1

2) purpose: discussion of 7300/3b1/UNIXPC and related CT machines (S/50, etc.)
	this is to replace unix-pc.general which will be removed (or suitably
	aliased - i don't know much about aliasing so if some kind soul
	wants to fill me in or provide a couple of sentences here, I'd be
	happy) after a six-month transition period.  the newsgroup is being
	moved into the comp hierarchy to solve problems with spotty
	distribution (almost nonexistent for our european friends) in the
	unix-pc hierarchy, and also to alleviate the confusion with the
	current name.

3) groups to be created:  	comp.sys.att.3b1	(unmoderated)
				comp.sources.att.3b1	(moderated)

	The names are chosen under the comp.sys.att hierarchy since there
	have been people interested in reorganizing the comp.sys.att
	group using subgroups like this.  we would like to make our group
	compatible with this possible reorg., thus the placement; however
	we are not proposing to do this reorg ourselves.

	comp.sys.att.3b1 is for general discussions and replaces the groups
	unix-pc.general and unix-pc.uucp (which has little traffic.)

	comp.sources.att.3b1 is for posting of sources and official patches
	to these sources.  it is moderated so that it will be in a form
	suitable for archiving at those sites which do this.

OK, let's try and get this going.  Please contact me if you feel I left
anything out.  'amen, brother' sort of messages are also welcome, since
usually the people who don't like things are vocal; positive messages will
help me judge whether I've really understood the consensus here.  obviously
we're not going to please everybody.

					jeff