Internal 2400 baud modem for the unix pc

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Sun Jan 7 18:51:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan1.173553.11869 at ntvax.uucp> canoaf at ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) writes:
>Happy new year, y'all:
>
>Some months ago, someone reported on some preliminary research about replacing
>the 1200 internal modem chip on the unix pc with a compatible 2400 baud chip.
>Further investigation was needed, but nothing else was ever heard.  I don't
>remember who it was that posted about this, so I can't give proper credit.
I believe I said something about it

[...]
>                                  Could this be done for a reasonable price?
>(reasonable = less than it would cost to have an equivalent external modem +
>the serial port to connect it).

No.

The chip that was planned is like the one we have: proprietary AT&T. Supposedly
the chip people have in mind is already being used in AT&T external modems.
The previous discussion covered the worst part: kernel changes. With external
2400 baud modems going under $100 for usable ones soon (if not already), it's
just not worth the trouble

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!