Internal 2400 baud modem for the unix pc

Augustine Cano canoaf at ntvax.uucp
Tue Jan 2 04:35:53 AEST 1990

Happy new year, y'all:

Some months ago, someone reported on some preliminary research about replacing
the 1200 internal modem chip on the unix pc with a compatible 2400 baud chip.
Further investigation was needed, but nothing else was ever heard.  I don't
remember who it was that posted about this, so I can't give proper credit.

>From what I remember, this was a planned upgrade for the P6 board.  Can the
original poster appraise the rest of us of the situation?  Does anybody
else know about this?  I'm sure many Unix pc/7300/3b1 users would love to
have a 2400 baud internal modem.  Could this be done for a reasonable price?
(reasonable = less than it would cost to have an equivalent external modem +
the serial port to connect it).  It seems that, no matter how many glue
chips are needed, it should be cheaper than the external solution...

Any info would be most welcome.

Augustine Cano		canoaf at dept.csci.unt.edu