HDB CLOCAL modem settings

Eric Porter ejp at grout.UUCP
Tue Jan 9 16:51:25 AEST 1990

I was also having many of the same problems with HDB uucp described in
previous articles.  However, after many hours, a lot of trial and error,
and yes, even reading the manuals  :-)  I seem to have it working DCD and
all...  I won't claim to be an expert so I will just post the basic
info describing what I did and let the rest of you explain the why.

First to let you know what I am working with: a unix-pc (of course)
a hayes compatible modem and a simple straight thu rs232 cable.
I did not "strap" Carrier detect on.

I set up the Dialers script with the "\M" and "\m" as follows:

hayes	=,-,	"" \M\r\d\r\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c

I then added the ",M" in the Devices file.  Something I have not seen
mentioned in the other postings... I "believe" it is needed to get
CLOCAL to work.  The entry in my Devices file is as follows:

ACU tty000,M - 2400 hayes

This solved most of my problems but one still remained. When a uucico
opened the serial port and started talking to the modem it would be
bombarded with garbage most of it <RETURNS>.  This went away when I took
the uugetty off of the line.  Also the uucico would usually succeed after
it gave up and tried again.  So I started to messing with the uugetty...
at about 1am (Problems like this can not be solved before 12am:-} )
I ended up taking the "ECHO" setting out of the initial flags in the
gettydefs... and much to my surprise everyting worked.

So here is my inittab entry:

 000:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty  -r -t60 tty000 24M

And finally my gettydefs entry:

12M# B1200 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXOFF OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL IXON OPOST ONLCR B1200 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK TAB3 #\nThis space for rent!\n\nPlease login: #24M

24M# B2400 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXOFF OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL IXON OPOST ONLCR B2400 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK TAB3 #\nThis space for rent!\n\nPlease login: #12M

I don't completely understand the business with the gettydefs.  The setup
of the Devices & Dialers files came out of some SYS V.3.2 manuals I
borrowed. I have had my system running this way for about 4 weeks with no
problem at all... So I am guessing I did something right :-}

Hope this is of some help.

Eric Porter

uunet!hadron!lsw!grout!ejp