HDB CLOCAL modem settings

Elliot Dierksen elliot at alfred.UUCP
Sat Jan 6 19:32:18 AEST 1990

I don't know if I'm being thick or not, but I have spent a substantial part
of this evening fiddling with this CLOCAL setup (\M \m) using my generic
hayes comp. 2400 modem and I can't seem to get it to work quite right. I can
get it to work as long as CD is high when I go to access the modem. I can
bring it down after doing a \M and it works fine. But, if CD is not high
after it locks the device it fails and moves on to the next one. My question
is: Is there some way to toggle CLOCAL in the devices file or something so
that I don't have to have CD forced initially??  I would like to be able to
use this modem bidirectionally, but with CD forced, when the remote modem
hangs up without logging out, that shell is given to the next person who
just happens to dial up!!  :-(   Any suggestions???  I have fiddled with
this particular problem on numerous occassions over the past year or two
with no success.  Thanx!!

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen                 Home: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}!tarpit!alfred!elliot
                                Work: {att,codas}!candi!ralph!ebd

"What's another word for Thesaurus??"  -- Steven Wright