Machine names on the net ...

David Herron -- a slipped disk david at ms.uky.edu
Mon Jan 15 14:32:38 AEST 1990

In article <25902 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>forrie at suntau.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) in <33 at suntau.UUCP> writes:
>	I am confused about names of computers... I have been told that you can
>	only have a maximum of 6 characters for a machine name...

I'm afraid that there's enough mis-information here that I must step in and
correct what I can..  Generally, Thad, I enjoy reading your postings but
this time you're a bit off the track.

>...  I've used PDP-10, Tenex, DEC-20, Foonly (all related) systems
>since their inception (the PDP-10 back around 1965), and one interesting
>aspect of it was that, for "efficiency", filenames were stored in a single
>36-bit machine word allowing up to 6 characters in a filename.  My conjecture
>is THIS is the genesis of the 6-character machine name.            ^^^^^^^^^^

Good thing you labeled this as conjecture..  I fail to see how a
strangeness on a non-Unix OS could affect naming of machines in a
network of what amounts to being Unix BBS's.  I know TOPS-10 quite well
(incidently, they fit 6 characters into 36 bits by using a restricted
character set that fit into 6 bits/character.  tricks like this are
easy on the PDP-6/10/20 architecture since it allows for varying byte
sizes)

>The Usenet, as such, started circa 1980 (if memory serves), and was required
>to be in conformance with Arpa protocols (e.g. email formats, and so forth,
>based on what's known as RFC 822).

Yes, 1980.  But, RFC-822 wasn't written until a couple years later.
Also the earlier versions of Usenet -- remember that we're on the B
version of Usenet right now, earlier version was A -- used a very
different header format.  And again within the B version there was
a number of changes in format over time.  Earlier versions of B had
(conscious?) incompatibilities with RFC-822, for instance Article-ID:
instead of Message-ID:.

The compatibility with RFC-822 came in around the time of B v2.11
and RFC-950.

>For whatever reason(s), all the early protocols permitted up to 6-char names,
>and much extant uucp software still abides those restrictions.  More
>recently, HDB (aka BNU) (circa 1984) uucp software permits up to 8-character
>names.  I "believe" it's possible names can be longer (your "snorklewacker",
>for instance :-) but they must be UNIQUE within the first 6 (or 8)
>characters.

There's a couple places where a limit can come from:

-- Usenet software & what it can put into the sys file, and Path: lines.
   I wouldn't be surprised if early versions of Usenet software had a
   limit on this name.  I'd also be surprised if there were *still* a
   limit.  There isn't any intrinsic limit since the format is "name!name!..."

   Note that the name for Usenet purposes is (can be) different from your
   UUCP or domain names.  Especially since a Path: line looks so much like
   a UUCP route-address that people insist on believing that it contains
   useful information for routing e-mail.  It is best if you use the same
   name everywhere...  but the software doesn't require this.

-- UUCP software has had a variety of limits on host names.  Usually in
   the range of 6-8 characters.  There's no really good reason for this
   other than early development was done on PDP-11's and the software from
   that era shows all sorts of strange limits supposedly to make the software
   *fit* in the first place.

   Funny, this 3b1 I'm on right now seems rather small (memory wise) --
   especially when I think about porting X to it.

-- Arpanet names.  I don't believe there was ever a limit, except for
   what people were willing to type.  In fact, there were numerous
   machine names which were rather long when I started in on the nets
   in '84 ..  a whole bunch of 'em at CMU with names like

	cmu-cs-foo-baz.arpa

   Then the naming pattern for gateway machines is to name the connected
   networks and tack "gw" on the end.  Like uky-sura-gw.uky.edu.

   There was some interaction between arpanet hosts and Usenet hosts in the
   early days of Usenet.  In fact, my first lesson on the uselessness of
   machine named "vgr" wouldn't pass any UUCP mail through it, despite what
   it said in the Path: line.(vgr.arpa is now == vgr.brl.mil)
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET
<- New official address:  attmail!sparsdev!dsh at attunix.att.com