More on my UUCP problems

andrew scott lagodzinski Andrew at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 7 15:49:18 AEST 1990

	I have had many replies to my original call for help with my UUCP
connection problems.  I am still having problems, but I now have more
information on the problem.  First I am running the stock UUCP that came
with version 3.51 of the UNIXPC OS.  I am using a Micom dial series modem,
it claims to be Hayes AT compatible and I have had no problems with it in
over a year of use on my Amiga, and recently with my UNIXPC.
	Some people have suggested that I set 'DCD' to be high always from
the modem.  I have never before seen a reference to 'DCD', but I am assuming
that this and carrier detect are one and the same.  At first I tried setting
this with a hardware switch, but this caused problems because the UNIXPC
thought that someone was tring to LOGIN on tty000.  This was bad and brought
the system to it's knees.
	As I was typing this note I thought about the Fixdisk to bring the
system up to 3.51a.  I remember having some problems with the installation
of this package on my system.  I just double checked my system and come to
find out that the copy I recieved of the Fixdisk was not complete.  It is
missing the uucico replacement that is supposed to fix the following...

../fixdisk/uucp/Info ...
The uucp (/usr/lib/uucp/uucico) has fixes for the following:

	-uucico hangs at call completion
	-uucico turns modem speaker on
	-time stamps incorrect in LOGFILE

	The problem I have been experencing may or may not be fixed by the
newer version of uucico.  If this is the problem I am truly sorry to have
wasted so much of everyone's time on this.

	What I am experencing is that uucico, not the modem, is hanging up the
line.  I feel this is the case because uucico makes two attempts to dail out
and on the second attempt I get a connection with the modem, but uucico seems
to have timed out.  It then appears (I have no way of checking) that the UNIXPC
tries to LOGIN because there is a carrier detect on tty000.  This of course
fails because Ohio-State is trying to LOG my machine in.

	I have tried setting the wait for carrier detect time from 30 seconds
to 60 seconds.  I have tried setting the carrier detect high in the dial
command in the modemcap entry...
#sccs	"@(#)uucp:modemcap	1.3"
# Hayes smartmodem 1200
# Name=hayes
ha|hayes|hayes 1200:tr=\r:wp=\r:wk=K:wt=T:\
                   :ta=AT\r:tb=AT&C0DT:\    <--added the '&C0' here
                   :es=\r:\
                   :d1#1:d5#5:\
                   :pl=trwpd1tad1wpwpwkwptbphtrwpwpwttr:

This doesn't seem to change the behavior of uucico.  I am truly stumped as
to how to get uucico to hang around long enough to see the carried detect from
the modem.        HELP!!

Andrew Lagodzinski  andrew at cup.portal.com or ..!sun!cup.portal.com!andrew
413 Pinehurst Ave.          "RHYTHMATISM" is the study of patterns
Los Gatos, Ca 95032              that weave the fabric of life